By Kyle J. Norton
Acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS) is a disease associated with human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) infection at the most advanced stage.
According to the statistics, approximately, 1.1 million people in the US are living with HIV, including 15% of those don’t know they are infected. Only half of the patients half are virally suppressed.
With an aim to find a natural compound for the treatment of acquired immunodeficiency syndrome, researchers examined the immunomodulatory effects of Curcuma longa L., purple sweet potato, and mixtures of the two (CPM) in an animal model.
The study included selected C57BL/6 mice infected with LP-BM5 murine leukemia virus (MuLV), randomly divided into seven groups as follows:
* Normal control,
* Infected control (LP-BM5 MuLV infection),
* Positive control (LP-BM5 MuLV infection+dietary supplement of red ginseng 300 mg/kg body weight),
* The original powder of C. longa L. (C; LP-BM5 MuLV infection+dietary supplement of C 189 mg/kg body weight),
* The original powder of purple sweet potato (P; LP-BM5 MuLV infection+dietary supplement of P 1811 mg/kg body weight), CPM Low (CPL; LP-BM5 MuLV infection+CPM 2 g/kg body weight), and
* CPM High (CPH; LP-BM5 MuLV infection+CPM 5 g/kg body weight). Dietary supplementation lasted for 12 weeks.
According to the tested assays, dietary supplementation of CPM inhibited LP-BM5 MuLV-induced lymphadenopathy, an inflammatory disease of the lymph nodes and splenomegaly, a condition of abnormal enlargement of the spleen.
More precisely, CPM reduced the decrease in T- and B cell proliferation, reduced the population of CD4(+)/CD8(+) T cells, and inhibited the unbalanced production of T helper-1 (Th1)/T helper-2 (Th2) cytokines in LP-BM5 MuLV-infected mice.
Ovarian Cysts And PCOS Elimination
Holistic System In Existence That Will Show You How To
Permanently Eliminate All Types of Ovarian Cysts Within 2 Months
Back to Kyle J. Norton Homepage http://kylejnorton.blogspot.ca
Kyle J. Norton (Scholar, Master of Nutrition, All right reserved)
Health article writer and researcher; Over 10.000 articles and research papers have been written and published online, including worldwide health, ezine articles, article base, health blogs, self-growth, best before it’s news, the karate GB daily, etc.,.
Named TOP 50 MEDICAL ESSAYS FOR ARTISTS & AUTHORS TO READ by Disilgold.com Named 50 of the best health Tweeters Canada – Huffington Post
Nominated for shorty award over last 4 years
Some articles have been used as references in medical research, such as international journal Pharma and Bioscience, ISSN 0975-6299.
(1) The Effects of Curcuma longa L., Purple Sweet Potato, and Mixtures of the Two on Immunomodulation in C57BL/6J Mice Infected with LP-BM5 Murine Leukemia Retrovirus by Park SJ1, Lee D1, Lee M1, Kwon HO2, Kim H3, Park J4, Jeon W4, Cha M5, Jun S5, Park K5, Lee J. (PubMed)
(2) Immunomodulatory effects of curcumin in allergy by Kurup VP1, Barrios CS. (PubMed)
(3) Sexual Behaviors and HIV Status: A Population-Based Study Among Older Adults in Rural South Africa by Molly S. Rosenberg, MPH, PhD,*† Francesc X. Gómez-Olivé, MSc, MD, PhD,†‡§ Julia K. Rohr, MPH, PhD,† Brian C. Houle, MPH, PhD,‡‖ Chodziwadziwa W. Kabudula, Msc,‡§¶Ryan G. Wagner, MSc, PhD,‡§ Joshua A. Salomon, PhD,# Kathleen Kahn, MD, MPH, PhD,‡§**Lisa F. Berkman, MS, PhD,†‡#††‡‡ Stephen M. Tollman, MD, MPH, PhD,‡§** andTill Bärnighausen, MD, MSc, ScD. (PMC)